Neolithic Chambered Tomb
Southwest of Llanddona, Anglesey, Wales OS Map Ref SH55097731
OS Maps - Landranger 114 (Anglesey), Explorer 263 (Anglesey East)
The sole remaining upright and fallen capstone of the eastern chamber of Hendrefor.
The only remains of the chambered tomb of Hendrefor near the farm of Ucheldref are a pair of sorry piles of rock in an area of pasture with just one stone still upright.
Originally these stones would have formed two chambers about 7 metres apart, one to the northwest and the other to the southeast and set into a covering cairn or mound of stones, the cairn material has long been cleared away and the chambers had been destroyed by the early 19th century.
The north-western chamber was recorded as still having one upright stone plus a fallen 2.6 metre capstone in the late 18th century at which time the south-eastern chamber still had its 2.8 metre by 2.4 metre capstone supported on a pair of uprights although some accounts refer to this chamber having four upright stones - even these had been toppled by 1825 leaving a solitary standing stone. This stone has an interesting 'L' shaped profile (see lower photograph), either as a result of part of it being cut away during the tomb's destruction or an original feature similar to that found on some of the stones of Trethevy Quoit in Cornwall which may have served as access for the insertion or periodic removal of bones from the chamber.
Hendrefor - eastern chamber to the left and totally destroyed western chamber to the right.
Back to Map | Home | Full Glossary | Links | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org