Bronze Age (?) Stone Alignment / Inscribed Stone
Gwytherin Church Yard, Clwyd OS Map Ref SH877615
OS Maps - Landranger 116 (Denbigh & Colwyn Bay), Explorer OL17 (Snowdon)
The inscription runs down the middle and right of this stone
Gwytherin a beautiful village
situated in a valley that serves as the confluence of the river Afon
Cledwen with the many streams that flow down from the hillsides. Within
the village is the churchyard of St. Winnifred, and within the raised
mound of this churchyard is an alignment of four stones that probably
date from the Bronze
Age. None of these stones are large, and they stand very close
together compared to many such alignments - in this case less than
3 metres apart. They must however have held much power and were probably
a meeting place and a place of ritual for the local population and
as such were a source of concern for the early Christian missionaries.
To try to diffuse some of this power but not to alienate the locals,
the site was 'Christianised' by the founding of a church - St. Eleni.
At some point this church was rebuilt and renamed St. James and later
in 1869 it was again rebuilt and this time rededicated to St. Winnifred.
which can be translated
It has also possible that
the Latin carving was placed over an earlier Ogham inscription.
Back to Map | Home
| Full Glossary | Links | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org